Friday, July 23, 2010

It's all Relative!

"All this began after we moved into this god forsaken house", he shouted as he slammed the door behind him. "So now you are blaming our son's illness on the house too?" She responded with the highest pitch she could manage though she knew he wouldn't hear it.

As she sat down next to her bedridden son, she broke down to tears, covering her face and hushing her voice so her son would not wake up. She was always the ambitious one in the family - dreaming higher, getting the man of her dreams, then pursuing him to buy the house of her dreams and finally pursuing a career of her dreams. Then as fate would have it, things broke down soon after her son fell terminally ill. She started to question all her decisions in life and asking herself - "What is the point in all of this? Why am I so overworked to get to my reserved place in society?" As she pondered over life's bigger questions, she gazed out the window and saw a woman with two kids outside the gate looking at her house.

"Mom, I want a house like that. Then  Kayla and I could have birthday parties and we could play in the backyard and also have our friends over!". "I wish I had a house like that", said Kayla.  "Well, I wish we had a house like that too kids, but with your dad being laid off and mom not being able to get a promotion, we will have to be satisfied with the apartment we have. Well, I guess we will never be lucky as the people who live in this house. OK, let's go to the park." "Yay", the kids said in unison and ran across the street to get to the park.

PERSPECTIVE MATTERS. Have you put your problems into perspective lately?


Image courtesy : http://www.hypebeast.com

4 comments:

UL said...

I needed this more than anything today...esp. with all that has been going on in my life .. am passing it on to my husband and parents...they would enjoy this one. Your simple examples make a huge impact, keep them coming...

Scribbler said...

@UL - This is a thread spawned off from something that happened in true life.

Glad it helped you. Once in a while, we need to take a blimp ride and take the 10,000 foot view to appreciate what we have.

Jay said...

Reminding me to count my blessings... thank you.

shadkam77 said...

great post man .. can relate to it ..

u know, whenever i get angry with a friend, i think of a much bigger daemonic figure D (say hitler) and think - have i been feeling more angry towards my friend wrt D .. and how unjust it is ... anger should be proportionate ... :) and lo, i suddenly feel alright ..