Friday, December 14, 2012

Now, what are you going to do about it?


Today, the world is without an evil, mentally sick man who went on a shooting rampage at a school. Today, the earth is lighter by 20 toddlers whose lives were taken away way too early, by no fault of their own. Today, the president teared up on national TV. Today, every parent in America who heard the news shuddered at the thought of "What if?".

Today, amidst the debates, news bytes and feelings alternating between grief and anger, I was reminded how incredibly lucky I am to come to home to two happy, healthy kids. All of us are excited by different things, but rarely by the everyday normal. Today, I realized I am among the lucky people for whom normal, though boring at times, is what matters most.

It goes without saying that no matter where one's affinity lies, be it on the right or the left, their thoughts and prayers go out to the families affected and they dont want this to happen ever again. That is the least anyone can do - even old, frail people who are in wheelchairs. If you are young, are a parent, and healthy, I urge you to do more than just send condolences and pray it never happens again. Civility codes and social niceties demand that debates, arguments or politics over this is too soon. As you may have already guessed, I beg to differ. The collective attention span of humanity is short, so if not now,  the mainstream media will slowly but surely lead our attention to discussions about the fiscal cliff crisis and the Kate Middleton pregnancy. 

So yeah, I am going to politicize the fuck out of this. I am going to engage in debates, and arguments about what I think should be done. I am also prepared to hear out opposing ideas setting aside my ego for the greater good of all. I am going to actively seek out venues where I can contribute - be it through time, money or open dialog. I maybe a tiny speck in the grand scheme of things, with not enough money, power or influence to create anything big -  hoping for a remote chance of inspiring someone who has any or all of the above.

Why? Because come this monday, twenty parents will not be able to pack lunches for their kids. Because if there is an afterlife, if I come face to face with one of the kids who left us today and If she asks me "What did YOU do for me?" - I will be able to answer "The best I could" with a straight face.

No comments: